How to tackle fear of failure and self-doubt to grow a successful handmade shop
Self-doubt is nothing but a fear of failure, that gremlin voice in your head that says: ‘what if I can’t make it? What if no one likes my products? What if this is a waste of time? There’s just too much to do I don’t know where to start’. If that is what’s going on in your head and stopping you from growing your handmade business, this episode of the Tizzit TV Show is just for you!
This is a summary of the video, but you probably won’t be able to understand it without watching the video first. So grab some popcorn, and dive in!
Self-doubt = Fear of failure (3:02)
- You are creative and you can have a successful shop, that’s not something only other people can have – you can do it, too!
- The only reason you doubt yourself is fear of failure.
What fear of failure is (4:00)
- Success is not always about the result, sometimes it’s trying and taking action.
- ‘I don’t think that I can do it…’ => You are already doing it.
- Failure WILL happen – it’s inevitable to any type of success. The sooner you accept that it will happen the better you will be able to overcome it when it happens.
- Embrace the child mindset – fear of failure grows as we get older and feel more responsible. Tune in to your inner child and approach your business as a experiment.
- Elizabeth Gilbert ‘BIG MAGIC’: fear will always be there, but in the passenger seat.
- The key is to be brave: acknowledging that we’re scared but moving forward anyway.
When failure happens (9:38)
- Remember that failure is not a permanent state, you get to have as many other chances as you need.
- Two things I do when I fail.
How to prevent it in the first place (12:22)
- Limit your risks: follow proven processes and go for the slow burn.
- Complexity leads to overwhelm which leads to fear of failure.
The Maker’s Success Roadmap (17:08)
- When you simplify the tasks ahead of you everything is easier and feels more accessible – that’s why I made The Maker’s Roadmap.
- You can join the waitlist here to be the first one to know when it comes live and get an early bird special price:
- It’s an interactive printed planner with online coaching videos as well.
- It’s a complete framework made of 4 stages and helpful activities, with monthly and weekly spreads to organize everything.
Back to you: do you experience fear of failure and self-doubt? How are you coping with it?
Grow your handmade shop
access the free resource library
Unlock the library of free resources for makers and handmade entrepreneurs and receive weekly tips and freebies to help you craft a profitable and successful handmade shop!