How to easily integrate your Etsy shop on your own website
Most handmade shop owners start their businesses by selling on Etsy. It’s easy to set up, and if used right, selling on Etsy can put your store in front of thousands of potential customers. But there might a time where you find yourself at a crossroads, wanting to spread your wings and grow your shop beyond Etsy.
If you’re selling on Etsy and ready to start your own website but feel a little overwhelmed by the idea of setting up your own online shop, don’t worry!
Keep reading to find out how you can easily integrate your Etsy shop onto your own website.
Using Etsy Mini
Etsy Mini is a quick and simple tool made by the developers over at Etsy. It lets you select products from your shop items or from your favorites and then display it onto your own website by copying and pasting a code. Don’t worry, you don’t have to have any coding skills at all to use it, it as simple as embedding a youtube video!
How to set it up
- To get started and create your own Etsy mini, head over to this page
- Select what products you wish to display, and the type of images you want to use
- Decide on a grid layout: how many columns and how many rows do you wish to display? If you use etsy mini on the sidebar of your site, you might want to stick to 1 column for example. If you use it on a full page, you can create a 3x4 grid and get more of “shop” look. It’s entirely up to you!
- Check the preview below and make sure that you are happy with the way it looks, this is how it will appear on your site.
- Copy the code that appears under “paste this code”.
- In a new tab or window, login to the backend of your website (be it on WordPress, Squarespace, Shopify, or any platform you might have picked) and navigate to the page or blog post where you wish to display your Etsy products.
- Once you access your text editor, you should see a button to “show HTML” or “edit HTML”.
- Click it then paste your Etsy mini code! Save your page, you’re done!
This is how it looks like on Shopify:
And this is how it looks like on WordPress:
Advantages of Etsy Mini
- Easy to implement and requires no coding skills at all. It takes 5 mins to get it up and running on your site.
- You can use it on WordPress, Squarespace, Shopify, Wix, and any other website builder you might be using.
- It’s free
- Although your website visitors can see your items, they can’t click to see the description or buy it without being redirected first to your Etsy shop.
- Etsy mini display your items, but is NOT a shopping cart and does not allow your visitors to check out on your site. This is because Etsy charges a fee for each product sold via their direct checkout option, and therefore need to redirect your visitors to their site in order to finish up their purchase.
- Lastly, Etsy Mini uses what is called an “iframe” to display your product on your website, and isn’t really responsive. This means that a 3x4 grid with Etsy Mini might look great on a desktop, but not display properly on an Iphone for example. Not great for your customer experience…
The bottom line:
It is a good option if you’re just getting started with your own site and are not ready to launch your own online store yet but it is in no way similar to having people buying from your website and should not be considered as a long-term option. Eventually, I recommend you build your own store with Shopify or Woocommerce instead.
Etsy360 is a plugin for WordPress that let you use your Etsy listings and display them on your site as if it was a full e-commerce integrated website… while still only using the Etsy platform. The plugin displays your items per categories and lets your website visitors browse your site as if they were on your own online store. Etsy360 starts at $45 and goes up to $85 if you also want the “cart extension”. This extension lets your visitors add items to a cart page on your site before checking out to Etsy for checkout. This allow for a better shopping experience as your customers can stay on your site and view/add different products to your cart.
Here is an example of a website using etsy360 with the cart extension: https://undercoverotter.com/
How to set it up
The set up is fairly easy, you just need to purchase the plugin and install it on your WordPress site as you would with any other plugin. You can also get helped by the developer and have it installed for you for $18.
Advantages of Etsy 360
- The main advantage of Etsy360 is its look: you can make your website look exactly like an online shop and allow your visitors to add to cart and browser your pages as they would on any other online shop.
- Although not free, the price is still pretty low.
- The plugin comes with support in case you get stuck while using it or setting it up.
- The plugin is responsive, meaning it will look good on a desktop, or a tablet, or a phone.
- It isn’t free – $45 to $85 investment + $18 if you want them to install it for you
- Your customers will still be redirected to Etsy when they’re ready to check out
- This still isn’t a “real” e-commerce solution but requires more time to set up than Etsy Mini.
The bottom line: If you’re not thinking of using something like Woocommerce or Shopify anytime soon but still want to display your products on your site and offer a “shop-like” experience to your customers, then Etsy360 might be right for you. But if you’re thinking of opening an online shop (for example with Woocommerce or Shopify) sometime soon, then I would save my money and simply use Etsy Mini in the meantime.
I hope this helped, if you have any question feel free to let a comment and I’ll do my best to answer!
Grow your handmade shop
access the free resource library
Unlock the library of free resources for makers and handmade entrepreneurs and receive weekly tips and freebies to help you craft a profitable and successful handmade shop!